.

Young Girls Alert Residents of Porch Fire

A discarded cigarette caused the fire, police said.

Two young girls were walking on Warren Street when they spotted a second-floor porch fire at about 5:25 p.m. Friday, Feb. 14.

The girls rang the home’s doorbell and knocked on the door, alerting the residents of the fire, police said.

The residents immediately called 911 and then began pouring water on the fire.

The fire ended up damaging the porch and some siding but did not affect the home’s structure, according to police. According to an investigation at the scene, a discarded cigarette butt in a flower planter started the fire.

Susan Ruderman February 19, 2014 at 12:38 PM
This is at least the second fire in the same area caused by improperly discarded smoking materials. Kudos to the girls for alerting the occupants. But when will smokers learn that they impact more than just themselves?

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something