Arlington police have recently responded to a growing number of motor-vehicle break-ins happening overnight, according to a Thursday release from the department.
Many of the cases so far appear to have been crimes of opportunity, as the motor vehicles were unlocked at the time, police said.
The department is investigating the breaks but is also asking residents to take the following precautions:
- Please promptly report suspicious activity in your neighborhood to police using 911
- Lock your vehicles at all times (when home and when out)
- Activate your vehicle alarm system when unattended
- Never leave valuables in your vehicle
- Secure all electronic and charging devices so that they cannot be seen from outside vehicle
- When possible make use of motion sensor lighting
- Keep bushes and trees trimmed near parking areas as hiding spaces for would be thieves make a target more inviting
More on Arlington Patch