Today is Friday, Aug. 10. Here are five things you need to know:
1. There is a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11 a.m. today and then again after 11 p.m., according to the National Weather Service. Temperatures are expected to reach 81 degrees.
2. From the Town: The Board of Selectmen is pleased to announce the presentation of Town Honor Awards to citizens who have made outstanding contributions to the enrichment and advancement of the Town of Arlington.
From time to time, the Town has recognized individuals with the Robbins Award for significant contributions in social, cultural, educational, political or philanthropic service; the Cyrus Dallin Award for outstanding and meritorious service in the area of education, community beautification, art, culture or philanthropy that meets human needs, particularly needs of the youth; and the Samuel Wilson Award for considerable and exceptional contributions in the area of patriotism, business or government. Additionally, a Town employee is recognized with the Joseph P. Greeley Award for outstanding public service above and beyond the call of duty.
The Awards Committee, which includes Jack Hurd, George Laite, Nora Mann, Nick Mitropoulous and Bob Tosi will facilitate the nomination process.
The public is welcome to participate by submitting the nomination of individuals that meet the award criteria.
Nominations must be received at the Board of Selectmen’s Office by Friday, Oct. 5, at noon. Nomination criteria, procedures and forms can be obtained at the Board of Selectmen’s Office, the Robbins and Fox libraries, and online.
For more information e-mail the Committee at Arlingtonhonorawards@gmail.com or call Committee Chairman Jack Hurd at 781-648-2169.
3. In case you missed it, with some big names are filming near Arlington.
4. Arlington artist Claire Burke’s mixed-media work is on display as part of the “CURRENT: Space, Energy, and Time Explored by Kingston Gallery Associate Members” exhibit at the Kingston Gallery in Boston’s South End, 450 Harrison Ave., No. 43. Burke will also be part of an artist talk on theme, process and technique from 1 to 3 p.m. this Sunday, Aug. 12, at the gallery. The talk is free and open to the public. The exhibit runs through Sunday, Sept. 2.
5. From the Town: The Town of Arlington is seeking individuals to serve as members of several committees covering a variety of subjects. By serving on a Town committee, you’ll make a valuable contribution to the community and meet other residents who share similar interests. Here is a list of some committees that are currently seeking members: , Master Plan Advisory Committee, Trust Fund Commission, Permanent Town Building Committee, Zoning Bylaw Review Committee, Uncle Sam Committee. Complete details and submission information.