The owners of the recently closed Gemma Ristorante are behind Cooper’s Tavern, according to paperwork filed with the Board of Selectmen’s office.
Ilir and Melaiza Velagoshti wrote to the board that they’re planning to operate a “casual American style restaurant” at the former Gemma site, 319 Broadway in Arlington Center, as they feel “it is more appropriate and needed in [the] business district.”
Do you agree with the owners? Is a casual American style restaurant what Arlington Center needs? Let us know by posting a comment below.
Their proposed name change was unanimously approved by the board Monday.
Cooper’s Tavern was the second new historically named tavern to come before the board in less than a month. In late August, the board unanimously approved plans for Menotomy Grill and Tavern, which is slated for the old Hollywood Video site in East Arlington.
See more on Cooper’s Tavern here, and here’s what the owners filed with the board:
Cooper’s Tavern established in 1768 was the neighborhood watering hole for West Cambridge and Menotomy (now known as Arlington). Frequented by Captain Samuel Whittemore, and some of the nation’s earliest and most heroic Patriots, Cooper’s Tavern was always serving up pints of Ale, Cider, and Toddy. Most came for the atmosphere and friendship, men and women gathered around the fireplaces to toast over a glass of Flip or Rum Punch.
Cooper’s Tavern also doubled as an emergency triage hospital on April 19, 1775, and it is where Captain Whittemore was taken after his heroic “One Man Stand” against the Redcoats. That day Jabez Wyman and Jason Winship were killed by Redcoats as they blindly fired through the windows of the tavern during their retreat back to Boston.
Here at the modern day Cooper’s Tavern we hope to re-establish some longtime-honored traditions, as well as establish some new ones. We hope to honor the brave men and women that came before us, as we pave the way for a better and brighter future. Cheers!