As you may know, the libraries of Arlington are down to the final four days of a competition we are having with the public libraries of Belmont, Lexington, and Somerville. The library that has the highest percentage increase of new library card registrations in February 2013 compared to February 2012 will be the victor. If Arlington doesn’t win, I will visit the winning library’s storytime dressed as Clifford the Big Red Dog. And, just because people have said “seeing you dressed up as Clifford the Big Red Dog is incentive for me NOT to sign up for a library card”, if Arlington wins, I will dress up as Clifford the Big Red Dog here in Arlington.
Right now, Arlington is in second place and we need your help to win the Library Card Sign Up Challenge! Here’s are a few very easy ways you can help:
- If you don’t already have a library card, get one by filling out the online library card application here by Thursday, February 28th, no later than 8:30 PM (the sooner, the better). You will need to provide identification with your name and current address when you come to the Robbins Library to pick up your card.
- Visit either the Robbins Library and Fox Branch Library by Thursday, February 28th and sign up for a library card in person.
- If you have a library card that you haven’t used for awhile, check with the library to see if it is still valid…library cards do expire. If you aren't sure whether or not your library card is expired, it probably is!
- If you can’t find your library card, get a replacement. We are waiving fees for library card replacements during the month of February.
- Tell all your friends, family, and neighbors about the Challenge, and ask them to sign up for a library card if they don’t have one already.
- Don’t just tell the people you know face-to-face, talk about this on Facebook, Twitter, and other social networking sites.
- Have someone take a picture of you with your library card. Share it on Facebook, Twitter, and other social networking sites. Use the hashtag #getcarded. Send these pictures to us at email@example.com or @RobbinsLib via Twitter. The best photos promoting library card sign-ups will win prizes!
Thanks in advance for your help. Community pride is at stake, let’s all do our part to win this competition!
Director of Libraries
Town of Arlington