Recapping Wednesday's News in Arlington
Get caught up on everything you missed.
Today is Thursday, Aug. 30. Here are five things you need to know:
1. Today should be sunny with a high near 86, according to the National Weather Service.
2. A Town Meeting member submitted a petition to the town Tuesday to call a Special Town Meeting regarding Arlington’s seasonal ban on gas-powered leaf blowers. Stephen Harrington, of Precinct 13, who opposes the ban, said nearly 250 registered voters in Arlington signed his petition – only 200 signatures are needed to force a Special Town Meeting.
3. A new restaurant is coming to East Arlington. Menotomy Grill and Tavern, which is set for the old Hollywood Video space at 25 Massachusetts Ave., received operating and all-alcohol licenses Monday from the Board of Selectmen. The roughly 150-seat restaurant is being proposed by Arlington resident William Lyons, of Scituate Street, who most recently managed the Black Horse Tavern in Winchester and has more than two decades of experience in the restaurant business.
4. Arlington High School Athletic Director Edward “Ted” Dever is the subject of an ongoing criminal investigation by the Arlington Police Department and Middlesex District Attorney’s office, according to Arlington Superintendent Kathleen Bodie Wednesday. Dever has been placed on paid administrative leave, she wrote in an email.
5. The Level 3 sex offender who was arrested Friday on Broadway and charged with attempted murder and aggravated assault allegedly straddled a woman while she was lying in bed asleep in his Milton Street residence and then tried to strangle her.