Five Things You Need to Know Today, July 5
Expect a hot Tuesday with some clouds in the afternoon.
Happy Tuesday, Arlington! Here are five things you need to know today:
1. Weather: Expect a hot Tuesday with some clouds in the afternoon. High temperatures could reach 88 degrees with an overnight low of 66 degrees.
2. Fourth of July: Check out our photo gallery of Monday's Independence Day celebration in Arlington.
3. In case you missed it: On Sunday, we ran another story about the ongoing issue with special education at Arlington Public Schools. Parents and staff agree transition period is critical for incoming students at Ottoson Middle School and are working toward greater collaboration.
4. For the troops: Barrett & Company Real Estate is collecting donations of peanut butter, jelly and Marshmallow Fluff for Operation American Soldier. Small plastic jars can be dropped off at the Barrett & Company offices in Concord, Lincoln and Carlisle Centers.
5. This day in history: From History.com, "On July 5, 1946, French designer Louis Reard unveils a daring two-piece swimsuit at the Piscine Molitor, a popular swimming pool in Paris. Parisian showgirl Micheline Bernardini modeled the new fashion, which Reard dubbed 'bikini,' inspired by a news-making U.S. atomic test that took place off the Bikini Atoll in the Pacific Ocean earlier that week."