Five Things You Need to Know Today, Feb. 6
A sunny Monday, senior cribbage, government meetings and a few more things to know today.
1. Weather: Expect a sunny Monday with clear skies at night. High temperatures could reach 50 with an overnight low of 30.
2. State recommends consolidated finance department: The Department of Revenue is recommending Arlington schools and town government move to a consolidated financial and administrative model. The Board of Selectmen is scheduled to hear more about the proposal at 7:15 p.m. tonight at Town Hall. Find more information about the proposal here.
3. Senior cribbage: Every Monday, the Retired Men's Club of Arlington sponsors cribbage at St. Camillus Parish. Cost is $5.
4. Arlington Alerts: Town officials are encouraging residents to register for Arlington Alerts, a new emergency communication system that will replace the current reverse 911 program. Here's some more information.
5. This day in history: On this day in 1952, after a long illness, King George VI of Great Britain and Northern Ireland dies in his sleep at the royal estate at Sandringham. Princess Elizabeth, the oldest of the king's two daughters and next in line to succeed him, was in Kenya at the time of her father's death; she was crowned Queen Elizabeth II on June 2, 1953, at age 27.