Five Things You Need to Know Today, Aug. 29
Weather, a confession, storm photos and more to know this Monday.
Good morning, Arlington! Here are five things you need to know today:
1. Weather: Now that Irene has passed, expect a warm and sunny day, followed by clear skies this evening. High temperatures could reach 78 degrees with an overnight low of 58 degrees.
2. In case you missed it: An Arlington-based karate coach was arrested on charges that he indecently assaulted one of his students, officials said. In court Friday morning, Assistant District Attorney Deborah Bercovitch said Thomas Donahue, 52, of Lexington, gave Arlington Police a “full confession” of the crime.
3. Storm photos: Patch readers were out and about snapping photos of Sunday's storm, and we made a collection of some of the best shots. Do you still have some shots to send? Feel free to submit them.
4. For the troops: Barrett & Company Real Estate is collecting donations of peanut butter, jelly and Marshmallow Fluff for Operation American Soldier. Small plastic jars can be dropped off at the Barrett & Company offices in Concord, Lincoln and Carlisle Centers.
5. This Day in History: From History.com, "Hurricane Katrina makes landfall near New Orleans, Louisiana, as a Category 4 hurricane on this day in 2005. Despite being only the third most powerful storm of the 2005 hurricane season, Katrina was the worst natural disaster in the history of the United States."