Five Things: Two Arlington Teams Still Dancing
Today is Friday, June 1. Here are five things you need to know.
1. Today should be sunny with a high near 70, according to the National Weather Service. It’s expected to rain Saturday, with possible thunderstorms, and may rain Sunday as well.
2. The 8th-seeded Arlington High softball team advanced in the Division 2 North bracket with a 7-0 win over No. 9 Melrose. The Spy Ponders (15-6) await the winner of No. 1 Dracut (19-1) vs. No. 17 Wakefield (10-9) in the quarterfinals, which have yet to be scheduled. In the same bracket, the No. 12 Arlington Catholic softball team (13-8) lost to No. 5 Amesbury (17-4) 1-0 in extra innings Thursday.
3. The No. 8 Arlington High baseball team lost 8-3 Thursday to No. 9 Marblehead in the first round of the Division 2 North bracket. The Spy Ponders went 12-9 this season. The No. 7 Arlington Catholic baseball team beat No. 10 Weston 6-2 Thursday at Summer Street Field in the first round of the Division 3 North bracket. The Cougars (14-7) will play the winner of No. 2 Shawsheen (15-3) vs. No. 18 Saugus (8-13) at 4 p.m. Monday, June 4. The Cougars beat Shawsheen 4-1 back on May 23.
4. The 12th-seeded Arlington Catholic boys’ lacrosse team fell to No. 5 Hanover 17-6 Thursday in the first round of the Division 3 East bracket. The Cougars finish the season 15-6, which includes a playoff victory in the preliminary round of the bracket.
5. In case you missed it, two Arlington High seniors, Alexis Moisand and Eli Flinn, wrote a piece remembering the life of their former classmate Shaila Ali.