Five Things: Got Hazardous Waste?
Today is Thursday, April 19. Here are five things you need to know:
1. It’s expected to be sunny this afternoon with temperatures reaching 70 degrees, according to the National Weather Service.
2. Household hazardous waste drop off: The next household hazardous waste drop off at the Minuteman Hazardous Waste Facility (60 Hartwell Ave., Lexington) is this Saturday, April 21, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Proof of Arlington residency will be required to drop off any household hazardous waste or you may be charged a fee. Do not bring old TVS, CRT monitors or water-based paints, and for safety reasons, do not ride a bicycle to the facility, as you will not be allowed to enter. For a list of what is considered household hazardous waste, click here. After this Saturday, the next drop off is Saturday, May 19.
3. Save the date: Community Collection Day on Saturday May 12: Speaking of trash, or in this case recycling, the semi-annual Community Collection Day at the Arlington DPW Yard (51 Grove St.) is Saturday, May 12. The drop-off event goes from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., rain or shine. Residents can drop off a variety of home items to be recycled, including CRTs ($10 per unit), bikes, books, confidential papers, old prescriptions and sharps, small electric items such as hair dryers and toasters (no large appliances), clothing, old sneakers and more. Read a complete list of items here.
4. The moderator will review the 2012 Town Meeting Warrant and there will be an orientation for Town Meeting members starting at 7:30 p.m. tonight in the Selectmen’s Hearing Room in Town Hall. For more information on Arlington Town Meeting, which begins Monday, April 23, at 8 p.m., click here.
5. This week’s Best of Patch Readers’ Choice contest asks, “Where is the best place to get dessert in Arlington?” So far, it’s a four-way race with Tryst on top, followed closely by Lakota Bakery,The Chilly Cow and Angelina’s Pastry. With the voting so close, it’s likely to come down to which spot receives the most favorable comments/reviews, so be sure to let us know why you go where you do. Voting closes at 9 a.m. Friday, April 13. VOTE!