13 Candidates Confirmed for Town Elections
This year's pool of candidates is reportedly the largest since 1993.
The ballot is ready for this year's town elections.
With deadline to file paperwork past, 13 candidates are on the contested races for Board of Selectmen, School Committee and Board of Assessors. One candidate runs unopposed for a spot on the Arlington Housing Authority.
This year's candidate pool is reportedly the highest one since 1993, according to YourArlington.com. Except for that year, no election had a larger number of candidates dating back to 1979, the news site reported.
"It does seem like a lot for both those races," Town Clerk Stephanie Lucarelli said.
Board of Selectmen
The board has two openings for three-year terms to replace outgoing Selectman Annie LaCourt and Chair Clarissa Rowe. The candidates with certified signatures are:
- Joseph A. Curro Jr., of 21 Millett St.
- Joseph E. Curran, of 5 Hodge Road
- Steven Byrne, of 28 Upland Road
- Robert L. Tosi Jr., of 14 Inverness Road
- Maria A. Romano, of 35 Bates Road
Two School Committee members are running for re-election to defend their three-year terms: Chair Cindy Starks, of 1 Monadnock Road, and member Jeffrey Thielman, of 36 Coolidge Road. Here's the ballot for that race:
- James J. Flanagan, of 49 Trowbridge St.
- Cindy Starks, of 1 Monadnock Road
- A. Matthew Pallett, of 127 Winchester Road
- Jeffrey D. Thielman, of 37 Coolidge Road
- Ian T. Jackson, of 232 Highland Ave.
- Andrew E. O'Brien, of 109 Hillside Ave.
Board of Assessors
The board has one opening for a three-year term. Incumbent Kevin Feeley is running for re-election. Both candidates have been certified:
- Martin Thrope, of 348 Gray St.
- Kevin P. Feeley, of 25 Baker Road
Arlington Housing Authority
There is one spot for a two-year term on the Arlington Housing Authority. Daniel F. Brosnan Jr., of 18 Wachusett Ave., runs unopposed.